Updated: Mar 5
Want to get Instagram "verified?" No click bait here!
Let’s take it back nine years to 2010. The last episode of Lost was aired; hate it or love it, it happened. Toy Story 3 and Shrek Forever After were released. It didn’t matter that I was in high school –– I saw those movies in theaters (no shame). Who can forget the excitement that ensued Prince Will and Kate’s engagement? I ogled that ring. In addition, the beginning of this decade introduced one of the biggest game changers: Instagram.
Gone are the days of grainy, saturated filters. Instagram has evolved from its humble roots as a nonchalant photo-sharing platform. It’s now tightly bound with e-commerce. In the last few years, Instagram began to allow users with personal or business accounts to apply for verification: a little blue check mark that we all believe is almost as good as gold.
Why should you want your business’ account verified? Three words: trust, exclusivity, relevance. Think about the verified accounts you follow. That check mark guarantees that you are following the real Rihanna (where’s that new album at, RiRi?) or Urban Outfitters. Because verification isn’t handed out to everyone, your account becomes exclusive and powerful. As soon as something is dubbed as “exclusive,” everyone wants in.
Trust is vital to any type of relationship, including company and consumer. Followers know that verification is difficult to get, so it’s easy for them to trust the accounts that are. If you’re having trouble with fake accounts claiming your brand, it’s best to get verified ASAP. Once your account is verified, it’s much easier to get an influencer on board to promote your brand, which we can all agree is a huge perk! Because verified accounts appear towards the top of the suggested accounts and the search bar, you’re more likely to gain followers and engagement per post.
You know that handy swipe-up tool on Insta stories? Well, usually an account must have at least 10,000 followers to access the tool. That doesn’t apply to verified accounts! Account owners get early-bird access to tools that help to generate traffic from Instagram to their business pages.
Incorporate these strategies into your Instagram presence to help make your brand more desirable for verification:
• Post regularly (obvious, I know).
• Engage and respond to your followers.
• Link all your social media accounts.
• Have a strong presence on other platforms (this proves you’re worth following).
• Press. Being recognized by news outlets and famous blogs proves that your brand is legit.
These tips don’t guarantee that you’ll get verified immediately. Don’t get discouraged if it takes longer than you thought! The pay-off is more than worth the wait.
The SOM Team
PS – Here's how to request Instagram verification, if you're ready!
1. Go to your Instagram profile by tapping the icon with your profile picture in the bottom-right corner. 2. Tap on the menu icon in the top-right corner of your profile. 3. Select the settings icon that appears at the bottom-right of your screen, then select Account from the settings menu. 4. Scroll down through the account settings until you see Request verification, then tap it.
5. A form will appear with your account name pre-filled. First, add your full name (for businesses, the full name of whoever manages your Instagram will do).
6. Next, tap Choose File to attach a photo of your ID. For a person, a driver’s license, passport, or national identification card will work. For a business, you can use any official business document such as a tax filing, article of incorporation, or even a recent electrical bill.
7. Either open your camera and take a clear, in-focus photo of your ID or upload an image of your ID from your phone. 8. Finally, tap the blue Send button at the bottom of the screen to submit your verification request to Instagram.
Your request will now go to individual moderators at IG who will review your account and decide whether or not to approve you for an Instagram badge.
Connect with us on: